Tuesday 11 March 2014

SAMPLE SALE: SOPHIA WEBSTER | 2 comments:

 


 
 


Nothing better than a glass of Prosecco after running a half marathon...and buying SHOES!

This continues to baffle me...if anyone is familiar with how this is done PLEASE TELL ME.



One of the perks of having a BFF in fashion PR is that you get to know about all the sample sales; who, when and where. I for one love a bargain, and I have been quite lucky when it comes to shoes lately and no matter what I'm doing I can always find time for a good ol' sample sale. 

So who was it this week? SOPHIA WEBSTER! If you have read one of my LFW blog posts from back in Feb (see here) you may have figured out that I am a huge fan of Sophia's eccentric aesthetics and quirky, youthful style. A shoe designer at best, Sophia's shoes are colourful, fun and flirty...yet expensive! So when I reached the finishing line of the Roding Valley Half Marathon to receive a call from Claudia asking me to go, I couldn't say no! No matter how much my legs demanded that I rest I jumped straight in the shower, grabbed a bagel 'to go' and off I went to Covent Garden...

Being the UK average shoe size of a 5, it meant that on my arrival most were AS USUAL gone. After trying on several styles in my size I got myself in a tizz regarding the fact 'Giselle' weren't in my size. Of course this pair of gorgeous black booties were all gone. I went for broke and tried a 4 1/2 and ... THEY BLOODY FIT. So about 10 minutes later I was £150 poorer but I had treated myself. Oh YARRR. A shoe fit for Queen B, Sophia's addition of what appears to be tiaras on the front of each foot is just what caught my eye. Total love!

Claudia also purchased a pair of black slouch booties, hers more elaborately detailed than mine with metallic-thread embroidery and an open toe with stiletto heel. 

All heels were £150 with some being £200. Samples were £50 but were all in stupidly large or small sizes. The mistake many (including myself) make with sample sales is that you are inclined to buy something because it is 'designer' and 'cheaper'. DON'T. 80% of the time you are still spending over £100 on the piece and well... If you don't love it, DON'T BUY IT. I spent over an hour faffing over several pairs of shoes at the Nicholas Kirkwood sample sale, only to realise I didn't actually like any of the shoes in my size. Close to spending over £300 I refrained and left without regret. The key to bargains is to not buy rubbish but buy golden goodies that have a story to their purchase! If you find that golden goody, grab it, then go treat yourself to a glass of prosecco, just like we do! Retail Therapy...

What we wore:
 
Bea:
Dress - Sister Jane
Ostrich Feather Gillet - Miss Selfridge
Sunglasses - Topshop

Claudia:
Cheque Cigarette Trousers - Topshop

Follow The Sartorial Doll on Twitter to keep updated with upcoming sample sales! @sartorialdoll
If you haven't checked out Sophia Webster you can do so here! 

Bea {x} 

2 comments:

Clarificus said...

Do you really want me to spoil the magic? I'm spoiling the magic.
You'll notice that all of the 'hover' sitter characters have one arm on a stick? Every single one. Watch them carefully and you will realise that they don't ever move that arm. Ever. That's because the stick supports their weight, via a seat. It's a sort of one-legged-wonky-stool; the seat is under the performer, where you'd normally find the seat, but then instead of resting on a central leg, the leg extends upwards and outwards. This is hidden under the characters sleeve/down the side of their body, then down to the ground on a stick or a pole. Clever when you think about it, but if you look closely you can see the unnatural shape to the arm in your photograph. You can also see he has a weird bum-shape, because the trousers of his outfit are covering the padded seat of his chair! The carpet covers the wide base required for the asymmetric structure to prevent it toppling over.
And voila, one magical floating person. Except, you know, not really magic.

Unknown said...

Amazing! Thank you!! It was really annoying me, I had no clue how or why this was happening! Come to think of it you can actually make out the shape of the seat.. I wouldn't want to stay like that all day..each to their own ay! Thanks Doll, Bea {x}