|Rustica Piccate Pizza C/O: Zizzi|
Recently I have been micro-dosing gluten after I fully eliminated it from my diet since coming to Israel. Why? Because when I couldn't control myself, I gave in that fluffy FLUFFY oh so fluffy pitta bread to dip in my hummus at brunch and well, it seems the effects are far more severe than before as my body just can't handle it. I find myself miserable, moody, lethargic, sharp pains and OH look I am 5 months pregnant...JK JK, but seriously my stomach swells to the point I am sure you'd think I was preggo and I'm not exaggerating. It's funny slash totally not worth it. Micro-dosing, aka, a bite a day or here and there will re-introduce gluten to your insides and hopefully prevent you becoming ill if you do eat it. However, bar a naughty nibble, I have taught myself to no longer crave it, I can pass on it and I am fine without it, maybe because I accepted that I just couldn't eat it and hadn't bothered to create a gluten free base. Until now... INTRODUCING THE GLUTEN FREE PIZZA UNDER 500 CALORIES.
So let's get down to the Pizza which has revolutionised gluten free pizza, not only because it's low fat but because it is GLUTEN FREE. All hail the Cauliflower, I always did love you, you fluffy cloud of nutrients and vegetable goodness.
PREPARATION TIME: 25 minutes
COOKING TIME: 25 minutes
| T H E. B A S E |
- 1 Cauliflower
- 20g Unsalted Almonds
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- Handful of Parsley
- Zatar/Oregano (or both)
- Salt n' Pepper
- Clean Tea Towel/Dish Cloth/Cheese Cloth/Muslin Cloth
|Design your own pizza toppings!|
| T O P P I N G S |
(experiment as you please my darlings doll, everyones pizza should reflect their mood and wishes)
- 1/2 Jar Tomato & Chilli Pasta/Pizza Sauce
- 5 Plum Tomatoes (I used 2 varieties but one is fine, cherry tomatoes are also DELICIOUS AF)
- Mozzarella Balls
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper
- Red Chilli
MAKE IT HAPPEN:
PRE-HEAT OVEN TO 200 DEGREES
1. Wash your cauliflower and strip him of his stalk and leaves. I removed as much stalk as possible and have stored it in ye old fridge for later...
TOP TIP: the stalk is delicious eaten raw with hummus or used in a vegetable soup!
2. Using a food processor, or in my case, the NUTRI BULLET (use with caution, it is not meant to be used as a food processor so in the event that you too decide it works perfectly well, blend in small quantity batches) blend up the cauliflower, almonds, 2 cloves of garlic and parsley to create a rice looking formula.
|I blended the cauliflower, almonds, parsley & garlic separately and then mixed together|
3. Place the cauliflower 'rice' in a microwavable dish and cover with cling film. Heat for 5-6 minutes in the microwave until soft and stand to cool for 2-3 minutes.
4. Open the Tea Towel and place the cauliflower 'rice' inside the cloth, squeeze it tight to make a ball, letting all the liquid drain out. MAKE SURE you have removed as much of the liquid as possible. Once you open the tea towel you will see a dough-like-ball has been created.
TOP TIP: Save the liquid for later, it has a lot of flavour and can be added to a vegetable soup along with the stalks.
|I have saved the leftover juice to add to a vegetable soup as the parsley, |
almond and garlic residue remain in the cauliflower juice
|Once you have squeezed out all the remaining liquid you should be left with a ball|
5. Beat 2 eggs in a bowl and add the dough ball and mix together. This is your cauliflower dough!
6. YOU MUST WASH YOUR HANDS! THEY'RE ABOUT TO GET DIRTY!!!!!
7. Line a baking tray with a sheet of baking paper and grease with olive oil to prevent it from sticking. Place the dough on the baking tray. Now, you are ready to make the base!
|Cook With Love xo.|
8. TOTAL LOVE! Look at my heart, it's too cute, obv you can choose how you want your pizza to look, I make all my food with love so I opted for a heart shape. I did this using my hands, I pressed down and pushed the dough outwards forming my heart shape. I used a spoon to mount the edges to create a crust and pressed around the inside to perfect the crust.
TOP TIP: You don't want the base to be to thin as it will break, especially if you have many topping, so make it at least 1cm thick, making it thicker at the edges. Also keep it tight by pressing down using the palm of your hand.
9. Place base in oven for 10-15 minutes and then take out to add toppings
10. Firstly, spread the tomato sauce, I chose a tomato and chilli sauce for added flavour. Add your toppings, add anything you like, have fun with it!!! As you can see I added 2 varieties of plum tomato, black and red, I sauteed half a red bell pepper in plenty of olive oil and poured it on top, mozzarella balls, some freshly sliced red chilli and garnished with fresh basil leaves.
11. Finally, place in the oven for a further 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted and it starts to crisp!